Scenerio:
55 year old Hispanic male brought to a local hospital with complaints of chest pain. He's given a battery of tests. He's nervous as hell. Wait, here comes the doctor to explain things to him.
Doc: " Mr. Gonzalez?"
"Yes, that's me", the patient answers
"Well sir we performed a bunch of tests. Your EKG showed elevation in at least 3 leads; your Troponin has cone back positive and you chest xray shows congestion throughout your lower lower lung fields. I would like you to sign this consent to undergo a cardiac catherization"
The patient readily signs the form and the doctor quickly leaves the room.
A moment later the patient's frantic daughter calls
"Dad! Oh my God how are you?
"Well I'm in the hospital with chest pain"
Daugther" God dad are you OK. Have you seen the doctor yet?"
"Yeah, he was just in here"
Father" Well, I don't know. He said something about a lot of tests and he's sending me for more"
While this is a fictionalized account I've heard similar ones more times than I can remember. What's up with this guy? He's having a heart attack, that's what. Why didn't the doctor ensure the patient understood the cause of the patient's symptoms and test results? Who the Hell knows but it is the doctors responsibility to ensure that the patient has complete understanding of his/her condition no matter what.
So the next time you see you doctor and he speaks to you as if he's quoting from a medical book do not be embarrassed to say " Doc, I don't understand. Could you try speaking in plain English".
Good day and good health